Involvement

Newspaper

Newspapers hanging on display in Newseum in Washington D. C. which closed at the end of 2019.

So, one of my outside activities is writing articles forĀ The Daily Beacon, UT’s student newspaper.

I found a love for writing when I was younger, and in high school, writing came naturally. Sometime my Junior year, my English teacher recommended me for Journalism and I decided to join the staff at Farragut High School. That year, I was one of four students who were invited to go to Washington D.C. for the annual JEA/ NSPA Fall National High School Journalism Convention. There, I gained so much knowledge, that it helped me decide what I finally wanted to do. I wanted to go into the Journalism field. I wanted to write.

When I began as a freshman the University of Tennessee, I knew that I wanted to continue being a part of a newspaper staff.

As a young writer it is in one’s best interest to gain experience. As a young journalist, the best place to gain experience is to join a newspaper staff and tackle the world one story at a time.

In my Journalism 175 class, an introductory class to the world of electronic media and journalism, one of the requirements was to have an out-side project by joining one of the media outlets from the University. As my project and because I am an aspiring journalist, I decided to join The Daily Beacon, UT’s student newspaper.

From my 175 project, I stayed on as a writer, slowly working my way from contributor, to staff writer, to senior staff writer to Campus News Editor to the Photo Editor and to being the Editor-in-Chief in the spring semester 2020.

Click here to view Articles.

Pond Gap Science Club

I joined Science Club in the fall of 2019, which is a club that meets once a week at Pond Gap Elementary School where we encourage young students to stay excited about learning through awesome science experiments.

Each week, we teach a new science lesson to a group of students who range in age from 2nd to 5th grade. The science lessons are diverse and involve hands on participation, so that the students are learning first hand what is happening during each experiment.

It’s a great way to not only volunteer, but to really encourage the future generation to continue learning and be curious about how the world works around them.

Some of the experiments we have done so far involved making magnetic slime, making ice-cream, experimenting with chemical vs. physical reactions, making water disappear like they do in magic tricks and tectonic plate movements using marshmallow fluff and graham crackers.