Reflections

20160910_191909

The word Reflection, if you happen to look up the definition on Google, has two definitions. 1) The throwing back by a body or surface of light, heat or sound without absorbing it. 2) Serious thought or consideration.

Though I am sure there are plenty of other definitions of this word, these two provide a stark contrast. Like the image above, reflection could be just throwing back the light of something without fully absorbing the meaning behind it. Or, you can reflect upon a deeper meaning of something, understanding it in a deeper sense.

My senior year in high school, I spent a lot of time focusing on reflection, especially in art where my AP portfolio for Art Studio was based on reflection. At first, I thought of reflection as depicted by mirrors. Something that bends light to reflect an image back towards the viewer. As the semester progressed, I found myself finding a deeper meaning. Reflection isn’t just about finding meaning about what is happening around you or examining the exterior surface and discussing it. It’s about looking inside yourself and seeing the changes that have occurred in your life. It’s about looking not only with your eyes, but with your being. Each person views the world differently and reflects about it differently, because we are all unique. True reflection takes time because it should come from inside yourself.

As I continue my journey, I hope that my reflections reveal a deeper meaning then just what can be seen on the exterior. To follow along with my reflections, please look at my recent posts.