Additional Experiences

During my undergraduate career, I had other leadership experiences that greatly contributed to my development as a person, a student, and a professional. Read below to find out more about my experiences!

International Study

I had the chance to study abroad in the summer of 2017 at the University of Cambridge in the United Kingdom. While there, I studied the history of English culture and language. I visited many important sites, such as Stonehenge, the Roman baths in Bath, Canterbury Cathedral, Buckingham Palace, and many more. Additionally, I visited many sites in France and Germany, and I learned about those countries’ histories and cultures as well.

MLK Jr. Day of Service

Each year, the University of Tennessee hosts a day of community service in honor of Martin Luther King, Jr. I have had the opportunity to participate in this event with other students and volunteered at different organizations within Knoxville. In addition to service, this event also features a keynote speaker who discusses the importance of Dr. King and his legacy.

Ignite Knox

UT’s Center for Leadership and Service hosts a week-long program for incoming freshman to learn more about and participate in service and leadership activities. Additionally, I also learned more about Knoxville and had the chance to meet and network with several community leaders.

Spark! Leadership Retreat

During my freshman year, I had the chance to participate in the Spark! Leadership Retreat, a program hosted by UT’s Center for Leadership and Service. This program focused on team-building exercises, developing unique leadership styles, and practicing ways to maximize our individual privileges to help others.

Clifton M. Jones Student Leadership Conference

Similar to the other programs and events I have participated in listed above, I attended the CMJ Student Leadership Conference and learned more about leadership and personal development. I participated in character-building exercises, heard from many prominent speakers, and volunteered with SEEED (a youth development program in Knoxville.)

Police Ride-Alongs & Juvenile Court Observation

In addition to studying abroad, another exciting experience I’ve had is participating in the ride-along program with both the University of Tennessee Police Department and the Knoxville Police Department. During the rides, I learned a lot about how a police department operates, and I gained insight into the workings of the criminal justice system. This experience, along with my volunteering with children, has influenced my decision to become a defense lawyer one day.

Additionally, I occasionally observe juvenile court in Knox County to learn more about the roles of the prosecution, defense, and the judge. This has been a very educational experience because it gives me insight into the daily tasks and operations of the setting of my future career as a defense attorney.